Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Live Review: Alice In Chains/Deftones/Mastodon

Memorial Coliseum, Portland
Saturday, October 9th, 2010

Mastodon

Stoner Metal at is finest. It doesn't seem like Stoner Metal listening to their albums, but they jam live, routinely playing songs ten minutes and longer, with a trippy monitor/light show.

The highlight was when the double necked guitar made an appearance. I have not attended enough metal shows, so I can say this was the first time I've seen it live. Brent Hinds played the top neck of the guitar for the first five minutes of the song, but as each minute passed, you could feel the anticipation of the crowd for the switch increase. For such an insignificant event on the grand scheme of the show, the crowd went nuts when he finally did switched necks.

I always thought learning the 12 string guitar would make playing any type of guitar pedestrian. I'm now thinking learning the double neck would have a similar virtuoso quality. I'm going to take it one further. I want to learn the double necked 12 string. I'll call it the 24. Mastering the 24 will make learning the pedal steel with my feet a cake walk.


It is hard to say Mastodon didn't steal the show, because they pretty much did. They will get my money again.

Deftones

Have you ever been pepper sprayed? Me neither, but I've been close enough to know it is a feeling I never want to experience.

The Deftones hold a special place in my heart because of this story. Shortly after I moved to Portland, my roommate and I were blaring, "Passenger," on repeat after a long night of drinking. Occasionally, this barbaric behavior is deemed unacceptable by neighbors. The police arrived soon after the song started for the eighth time.

My on/off idiot switch has worked well over the years. I can curse in front of friends, but avoid the fuck word in public. When I eat a terrible meal, I don't tell the cook (s)he sucks. When I'm holding a sign saying "Pinstripes Are For Pussies," in Yankee Stadium, and am approached by a mob of fans with rope, glass beer bottles, and concrete mixer, I know it's time to put the sign away, compliment their attire, and run. That is why when the cops asked us to cut the music, I was quick to oblige. However, my then roommate's on/off idiot switch was jammed, which happened way too often when he was drunk.

I'm not sure exactly what happened next. I was in the other room trying not to laugh out loud when he got pepper sprayed, and I started violently coughing. My eyes were watering, and I could barely breathe. I couldn't even get my camcorder out for youtube hilarity. He spent the night in the drunk tank. That story still cracks me up.

So, "Passenger," was one of the highlights of the night. Sure it's the, "Somebody's Watching Me," of the Deftones catalog, their big hit with the uber popular guest vocalist. The die-hards in the crowd didn't seem too enthralled, but I was pumping my fist and laughing uncontrollably at the same time.

Alice In Chains

I know why I attended this show (Mastodon and the Deftones), but I don't know why I stuck around for the headliner. Being a huge Alice in Chains fan growing up, the death of Layne Staley hurt me more than the death of any musician. He is Alice in Chains, so seeing someone else sing his songs was painful. It was like watching the girl who broke your heart having sex with another man with thousands of people cheering them on. I went through the Kubler-Ross five stages of grief in a matter of moments:

1. Denial - This can't be happening. Nooooooooo?
2. Anger - Why the fuck are all of you cheering?
3. Bargaining - Excuse me sir, if I give you $20, will you tie this t-shirt around my throat and squeeze until I quit breathing?
4. Depression - Tears rolling down cheeks, continually yelling, "WHY?"
5. Acceptance - What the fuck, this show sucks. I'm thirsty.

New lead singer dude, I mean no disrespect, you stumbled into a position where you will make a lot of money trying to sound like Layne. It's not your fault, and you absolutely hit Layne's voice perfectly on "And We Die Young." I blame Jerry Cantrell for allowing this to happen. With so many songs about the heroin addiction that eventually took Layne's life, there were certain song inclusions that had me feeling like they were stomping on his grave. Had they played "Junkhead", I swear I would have ran on stage with fists flying.

Jerry, please change this band's name to Allie in Chains. This can't even meet the strict criteria of Tribute Band. This is a cover band, and promoting it as the real thing is not fair.

Allie In Chains Setlist

No comments:

Post a Comment