Monday, November 8, 2010

Holy Shit: Ween Live In Portland

Ween is like pop music if it was created by someone who is funny and interesting, who is not trying to appeal to 14 year old girls. It's pop for adults, yet they blend all genres of music, usually on one album. Take La Cucaracha for example, four of the first seven tunes include the Latin influenced horn song "Fiesta," the southern folksy "Learnin To Love," the Heavy Metal ass-kicking "With My Own Bare Hands," and the reggae entry, "The Fruit Man." They even throw in a Kanye-esque autotune song, and finish album with one of my favorites, "Your Party." I'm not sure why anyone would consider a song about attending a dinner party to be interesting, which is pretty much the point. It's not.

Just like how teenagers jump up and down screaming when Justin Beiber takes the stage, I'm not ashamed to admit I found myself jumping up and down screaming during Ween's Sasquatch headlining set earlier this year. Okay, there was a bit of whiskey involved, but still. I'm looking forward to round 2.

Crystal Ballroom, Portland
Wednesday, January 26th, 2011
$35
Tickets go on sale Friday, November 12th, at 10:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment